As the weather starts to become less and less forgiving, all sorts of animals start looking for places to spend the winter. Here in Peekskill NY, this means the start of rodent infestations of all kinds. In particular, we have talked to lots of people year after year about not being able to figure out the sources of their problems with mice. Since they are so small and even more nimble, it can be quite tough to figure out how they are getting into your home. To learn more about how they do so and what you can do to stop them, read on for advice from the Garrie Pest Control team!
Why Do Mice Come in the House?
Mice are just like any other wild animal; they have to make sure that they are set to last through the winter with everything they need to survive. Unfortunately, our homes usually have all of those things, and if mice find your home suitable, they will not hesitate to invade. Mice are on the hunt for these three things:
- Food: Although it’s commonly believed that mice love cheese more than anything else, they actually prefer foods that are rich in carbohydrates. However, mice will eat just about anything that’s left out in your home.
- Shelter: Mice play a vital role in their ecosystems as prey for all sorts of predators. To keep safe, they have to find a reliable shelter.
- Warmth: Because mice do not hibernate, they need to find a consistent source of warmth during the colder winter months.
How to Keep Mice Out of Your Home
Mice are one of the stealthiest and most adaptable pests in Peekskill NY. This makes DIY mice control quite difficult, but possible if you are diligent. Here are our top tips for at-home mice control:
- Seal any holes that could give them access to the inside of your home. This could mean installing brush strips on doors, screens on windows and vents, and sealing holes in your roofing or plumbing.
- Store and seal your food as soon as you are done eating, and be sure to clean dishes and spills promptly after meals.
- Maintain your lawn to keep the grass short and yard waste cleared. Mice can find hiding places and food to eat in your yard.
Rodent Control for Peekskill NY Homeowners
Do you know what to do if there’s a mouse in the house? In the fall here in New York, one mouse probably means many more. The larger the infestation, the harder it is to tackle it on your own. That’s where the rodent control experts at Garrie Pest Control come in. With top-tier tactics crafted to handle the specific rodent issues that we’ve seen dozens of Peekskill residents face, we promise to have your home mouse-free before the winter sets in! For a free quote, contact us today.