All homeowners dread the moment that they see a mouse or a rat scurrying across the floor. Unfortunately, where there is one rodent, there is almost always a family of rodents. This means that when you find one, your best option to get rid of them quickly is to contact a local mouse or rat exterminator.
If you’re expecting a visit from an exterminator soon, you might be wondering how you can get your home ready for your appointment with the technician. We’ve laid out our 5 most important steps to prep your home for professional rodent control! Read on to learn from our experts at Garrie Pest Control.
How to Prepare for Rodent Removal
Your rodent exterminator will be able to work most efficiently if you take a few steps to help them with their process. These 5 steps will let you and your technician find all of the rodents on your property quickly and easily:
- Prep the kitchen: Rats and mice are always out for a meal, so preparing your kitchen is a crucial step. Make sure that all of your food is sealed and securely stowed away in your pantry or refrigerator. Throw out any damaged or rotten food items and clear out the spaces on top of and around your fridge, stove, and sink.
- Clean up trash and boxes: Sweep, vacuum, and clean all around your house next. All of the trash should be taken out and you should place lids on your trash bins, both indoor and outdoor. Boxes, bugs, and other storage items should be folded or closed and stowed away to prevent any unnecessary hiding spots. This will give your exterminator the best opportunity to lay effective bait.
- Seal visible cracks and holes: Walk around your home and inspect all of the walls and baseboards. Look for small holes, cracks, and spaces that do not seal correctly. Mice can fit through gaps as little as a quarter of an inch, and rats can fit through spaces measuring one-half of an inch, so fill and repair these cracks if you can, or report them to the landlord if you live in an apartment.
- Take notes of rodent sightings: Write a list of all the places where you or anyone in your family has seen rodents or noticed signs of them. Let your technician know where the rodent sightings took place, along with the evidence of rodent activity in particular locations. The technician will then be able to target their search to the areas where the rodents are likely active.
- Safety prep: If you find any rodent urine or feces around your house, depose of it quickly and carefully, being sure not to touch it with bare skin or prolong your exposure to it. Rodent waste can carry many diseases and should be dealt with delicately.
Ready for Rodent Control in Peekskill NY?
If you’ve seen or noticed signs of rodents around your property recently, it’s time to reach out to your local rodent control company. Given the many dangers and constant nuisance that rats and mice pose, it’s important to have any infestations dealt with swiftly and professionally. For a free quote, contact our rat and mice exterminators today!