There are many reasons why you don’t want to deal with rats in your house. They cause a general disruptance, spread filth, chew through wires, and cause property damage. They can even pose a health risk by carrying diseases! What’s worse, they are active all year long in Peekskill NY. Because their activity peaks in the colder months of the year, we have to be on high alert against rodents during the winter. If you think you might have a rat infestation in your home and you’re wondering what to do about it, read on. The rodent control technicians at Garrie Pest Control have put together advice for recognizing signs of rats and keeping them out of your home.
Common Signs of Rodents in Peekskill NY
Unfortunately, rats tend to stay in the structures of our homes, crawl spaces, attics, and other hidden places, so it can be harder to tell if your home is infested than with some other pests. Hearing scratching noises in your walls is a good indicator of rodent activity. You might have also found rat droppings in corners of your home, rub marks where rats run along your walls, or nests in your attic made of shredded cardboard insulation, or similar material.
If you’ve noticed any of these signs, check around your home for holes that rats could have squeezed through. Keep in mind that they can fit through gaps the size of a quarter! Here are some things to check for around the outside of your home:
- Cracked foundation and siding
- Broken pipes and gutters
- Broken or loose shingles
- Gaps around windows and doors
How to Prevent Rat Infestations
Whether you’ve found rats or you’ve found ways to get in, it’s time to seal off these entry points. Here are some important ways to go about this:
- Use a silicone-based caulk to seal cracks. Small gaps in your foundation or around your windows are easily dealt with using a bit of caulk.
- Block off large holes with sheet metal. Larger openings that need repairs can be temporarily covered up with sheet metal and screws.
- Use lath screens for irregular holes. If you have an odd-shaped hole that sheet metal can’t contort to, lath screens are a pliable option.
- Complete general repair work. The present is always the best time to handle repairs. Especially in the winter when the threat of a rat invasion is looming, you should take care of any exterior issues.
Professional Rodent Protection
If you have rodents in your home that you can’t get rid of or you’re just looking for a professional touch for your rodent prevention this winter, reach out to your local pest control company. The rat exterminators at Garrie Pest Control are experts in both rodent removal and prevention—we have been assessing homes in Peekskill NY for rodent activity for almost 50 years. For a free quote, contact our team today!