As we start to approach the coldest months of the year here in Peekskill NY, it’s important to start taking precautions against the pests that come with the season. Mice are one of the most common winter pests that we deal with at Garrie Pest Control, and we meet people every year that can’t seem to figure out why their mouse problem started. One of the smallest and sneakiest rodents, mice are well-equipped to sneak into our homes and nest undetected. To avoid mouse problems this winter, read on for our technicians’ best advice for at-home mice exclusion!
Why Do Mice Infestations Happen in the Winter?
Like all other wild animals around Peekskill NY, mice need to make sure that they have sufficient access to necessary resources to last them through the winter. They usually find everything that they need in our homes, and they’re able to sneak in with ease. When they break into your home, mice are looking for:
- Warmth: First and foremost, mice sense the dawning of winter and scramble to find a reliable source of warmth. Living in our insulated walls suits them perfectly.
- Shelter: Due to the rapid turnaround of their reproductive cycle, mice need to build nests in safe areas. They use scrapped paper, fabrics, and similar materials to build nests inside our homes.
- Food: Mice love to sneak into our kitchens and trash cans to find any grain-based foods, produce, and more. They are able to stay adequately hydrated through their food consumption.
How to Keep Mice Out of Your Home
Mice are one of the hardest pests to get rid of on your own once they’ve established a nest and a breeding population. This means that you must put proper exclusion strategies in place to defend your home from the initial infestation. Here are some ways you can do so:
- Inspect your home for gaps and close them off. This could mean sealing cracks in the foundation and walls, covering vents, windows, and doors with screens, and more.
- Cut out their access to food. This means washing dishes promptly, cleaning up spills right away, taking out your garbage often, and using sealable trash bins.
- Keep your yard in proper order. By keeping your grass trimmed, yard waste cleared away, and mulch far from your home’s foundation, you can prevent mice from living in your yard, which is usually the first step to a home infestation.
Starting Mice Control in Peekskill NY
There is no better time than the present to start mouse-proofing your home. If you’ve taken all of these steps and mice are still invading your home, reach out to your local pest control company for help. At Garrie Pest Control, we take pride in our holistic rodent removal process—a complete property inspection to find all weak spots, safe and efficient mice removal work, and a full report identifying what has been done and what you can do to avoid further problems. Contact us today for a free quote!