When the weather starts to cool down for the first time in many months, all sorts of pests begin their preparations for a harsh winter. Looking for warmth and shelter from our chilly New York winters, countless kinds of insects and rodents try to take refuge inside our homes and on our properties. If you’ve lived around Peekskill for a while, you know how susceptible to pest problems our homes can become. Looking for a way to combat them? Read on for advice from our expert technicians at Garrie Pest Control!
Common Fall Pests in Peekskill NY
All sorts of pests live in New York, but there are a few to note that commonly cause trouble for homeowners come autumn. Here is our list of pests to watch out for this fall:
- Roaches: Cockroaches make their way indoors when the temperatures start to drop. The problem with roaches is that you may not notice that your home is infested until the size of the outbreak grows quite large.
- Beetles: Ground beetles, powderpost beetles, and carpet beetles are all more prominent in the fall. These beetles can cause all different sorts of slow-developing damage to your property.
- Spiders: Spiders get into our homes looking for cluttered places to hide and insects to eat. Having an infestation of smaller pests can quickly lead to a spider outbreak, too.
- Rodents: Most infamously, rats and mice love to get into our walls, attics, and crawl spaces to take shelter and forage for food during the fall.
How to Pest-Proof Your Home for Fall
Once a pest infestation is already underway in your home, you won’t find much success getting rid of them without professional help in most cases. The best way to enjoy a pest-free fall and winter is to take steps beforehand to reduce your risk of an infestation. There are several ways you can prepare your home for fall:
- Close any gaps that pests could get through. This could mean weather stripping your doors, fixing screens on your vents and windows, sealing cracks in your pipes, fixing broken roof tiles, and more.
- Keep your yard tidy. By clearing out yard waste promptly, cutting your grass short, reducing standing water buildup, and more, you can reduce the number of pest hiding places and food sources.
- Clean up promptly. Wash all of your dishes after eating, clean up spills when they happen, and store your food away in airtight containers.
- Seal your trash. Use trash cans with lids that seal or close tightly. Also, be sure to take the trash out of your house often and keep your bins as far from your home as you can.
Professional Help with Fall Pest Control
If you’re already mid-infestation in your home in Peekskill NY, you can count on your local pest control company to handle the problem. The expert technicians at Garrie Pest Control are well-versed in the particular pest pressures in our climate and have been removing pests from local residences for almost half a century. For a free quote, contact us today!